I used to publish my books on June 21st, because that's Ellie and Savannah's birthday. I thought, how cool would it be if the book "The Mansion's Twins" was "born" on the same day as the characters the mansion's twins? But, my author support group advises against publishing in the summer months. They say it's not the best time of year, however, other articles online have said differently. As always with anything related to writing, there's a good deal of conflicting advice out there. You'll want to research the best times for your specific genre.
Others advise publishing around the holidays, but this may only benefit traditionally published books. People buy books for gifts, and in their mind, it's a safer bet to go with an established author rather than take a chance on someone self-published. But it may be beneficial to have your books recently published on Amazon while these holiday shoppers are browsing. The more eyes you can get on your book, the better. But if you don't want to risk being lost in the flood of new holiday books, try publishing in winter, but after the holidays. People are still shut indoors and looking for something to read.
Again, there's lots of conflicting advice out there. So, to sum up what I've personally learned:
- Focus on making sure your book is ready for publication above worrying about the best time of year to release it. If it's not ready, it won't do well no matter when it's released.
- It's a bonus if you can sync up your publishing date with something important in your story.
- Release your book during a month appropriate for it's genre, for example, horror and paranormal books in October, and romance books in February.
- Research the best dates for your particular genre.
- If no specific genre or significant event in the story has your book corresponding with a particular month, you might want to release it sometimes at the beginning of the year, during the winter months, but after the holidays.
- You can also just do what I'm doing for "Stories of the Early Days," and release your book on your birthday. That way you can get people to buy your book on your birthday!